[linux-elitists] SCALE
Marcia K Wilbur
2014-11-27 05:32:23 UTC
Well, I'm going to venture out of the desert and into CA this year for
this SCALE event.
Apparently, it's the big hoohah around here. :)

Anyone going?

2 weeks remain for the call for presentations.
I think if anyone else is going, a panel on licenses or something
would be very cool.
Marcia K Wilbur

would be very cool.
Don Marti
2014-11-27 06:13:08 UTC
Post by Marcia K Wilbur
A link may have been useful as well...
http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale13x
I'm going to submit a couple of talks, see what
happens. I have also been encouraging others to
submit, though, so maybe I'll get squeezed out
this year.

It's a fun conference...

https://lwn.net/Articles/589196/
--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
***@zgp.org
Marcia K Wilbur
2014-11-27 16:13:12 UTC
Very cool!
I only use git for collaboration on development. This is awesome!

Seriously, if you come up with a panel idea, I would so be on a panel
with you!

How about: Community - what happened there?
j/k

Even if there are no presentation slots, if you go, let's connect!

If you have the time, let's sit down with a hot beverage, cold
beverage, food or some of the above.

Anyone else going? This could be fun!!!
Don Marti
2014-11-29 06:17:49 UTC
Post by Marcia K Wilbur
Very cool!
I only use git for collaboration on development. This is awesome!
Seriously, if you come up with a panel idea, I would so be on a panel with
you!
How about: Community - what happened there?
j/k
Not the "helpful rule of thumb: if someone uses
the word 'community', hide your wallet and run like
hell" panel? (See the hacker/brogrammers thread...
http://zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2014-July/013737.html
)

I organized a git panel one year, went pretty well.
Post by Marcia K Wilbur
Even if there are no presentation slots, if you go, let's connect!
If you have the time, let's sit down with a hot beverage, cold beverage,
food or some of the above.
Sure -- if we get an elitists group together I'll
arrange to be there with a car so that we can go
someplace other than Denny's...
--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
***@zgp.org
Marcia K Wilbur
2014-12-06 09:25:38 UTC
Cool!

Well, I would like to see a - as in "Free Beer" panel. :)

One thing I suggested for the Arizona crowd as I thought this would be
fun - a "cannonball run" type scenario for the commute.

They didn't really go for it... yet!

Since I never have attended yet, I don't know if you have ever done
anything like I mention below. So, if you do, I apologize.

I'd like to see a Q and A panel on licensing, free culture, copyleft, etc.

The people participating in the audience are hand picked.
However, these aren't just your "average" people asking questions.

Someone could say: "I have a question about copyright" and it could be
Karl Fogel from Question Copyright.
Another might state: "I have a question about CC by 0" and it could be
someone from Creative commons.
Segue works.
"Speaking of Public Domain..." someone from Gutenberg could state. How
about Greg Newby (is he still in Alaska?) Someone could ask a question
such as: "What about licenses and Wikipedia?" - and it could be Jimmy
Wales asking. "What if I receive a copyright notification or cease and
desist order?" Chilling Effects' Wendy Seltzer could ask that.
Getting a bunch of these people might not be that difficult. Of
course, it would not be without challenge.

Something along those lines for a presentation set up would be cool.
After all the people have come up and asked their question, let it be
a panel answering audience questions.

Of course, my interests may not interest the audience of SCALE.
You might apply that technique to any other presentation, really. I
don't know if that would work with your culture though.

Another interesting format might be Then and Now.

For example:
Have a bunch of former journalists/editors from Linux mags/news meet
with current journalists/editors to talk about tech, culture, etc.
This way we can bridge the gap or at least hear some cool stories.

That could also be applied to different interests such as "Back in the
Day developers vs. Devs now." "Old Skool IRC vs. IRC now - IRC: When
we would actually chat"

Anyway, I am looking forward to SCALE.

If I end up carpooling, I will be really happy to take Don up on his
offer of "other than Denny's"!

:)
I'm a bit biased as an co-founder/organizer, but yes I'll be there and look
forward to reviewing everyone's proposals.
If theres specific topics or speakers you'd like to see us invite, happy to
take feedback as well.
Marcia K Wilbur
2014-12-06 10:21:43 UTC
Sometimes I do my best work at 2am. Other times, not so much.

What I was referrring to at the end of the previous message was Don's
offer to have a car to go someplace other than Denny's.

:)
Don Marti
2014-12-11 22:40:19 UTC
Post by Marcia K Wilbur
Sometimes I do my best work at 2am. Other times, not so much.
What I was referrring to at the end of the previous message was Don's offer
to have a car to go someplace other than Denny's.
:)
Well, I got a couple of proposals submitted (one
fairly technical/hairy, one "hey here's a bunch
of random stuff" like the one I did this year.)
Will keep you and the list informed.
--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/