I made a GIF...
Don Marti
2015-05-02 12:47:25 UTC
(on one of those web-based "make your own ad banner"
sites. Patent's been expired for a long time anyway.
Pretty terrible GIF.)

If you visit this page you should _not_ see the GIF:

http://blog.aloodo.org/posts/worst-heist-movie-ever/

Any users who have their browsers set up to do
all of these:

* run 3rd-party Javascript

* create a 3rd-party iframe

* set a cookie in that 3rd-party iframe that persists
when the same iframe shows up on other sites

(which is basically the defaults) will get the GIF
set to visible if the script can "track" them from
another domain.

Any halfway decent browser setup should fix one
of these. If you do any of these:

* blocking known hinky sites at any level
(ad.aloodo.com is in Disconnect now)

* refusing 3rd-party JavaScript

* refusing or discarding 3rd-party cookies

* cookie double-keying

then no GIF for you. Click the "(test)" link at the
bottom of the page to test the iframe following you
across domains problem.

Why would the maintainer of a web site want to notify,
educate and possibly annoy users who are vulnerable
to third-party tracking, while rewarding those who
are protected from tracking?

That's a longer story. I think this guy's blog has
a good part of it.
http://fredrikdeboer.com/2015/04/27/the-supervillains-guide-to-saving-the-internet/
--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
***@zgp.org
Don Marti
2015-06-17 00:27:19 UTC
Post by Don Marti
Why would the maintainer of a web site want to notify,
educate and possibly annoy users who are vulnerable
to third-party tracking, while rewarding those who
are protected from tracking?
That's a longer story. I think this guy's blog has
a good part of it.
http://fredrikdeboer.com/2015/04/27/the-supervillains-guide-to-saving-the-internet/
Another interesting post, from Jason Kint at Digital
Content Next...

"Needless to say I found myself shaking my head
at a recent publisher event where sites were
discussing how they could block Facebook from
tracking their users. How on earth did this become
a responsibility of the publisher to hack together
a short-term solution?"

https://digitalcontentnext.org/blog/2015/06/11/5-ways-industry-leaders-need-to-step-up/

It's not the responsibility of an individual site to
craft an entire solution, but a site can...

* Provide tracking warnings
http://blog.aloodo.org/posts/mini-warning/

* Link to a tracking test
http://www.aloodo.org/test/

* Replace stock social buttons with safe versions
https://github.com/heiseonline/shariff

* Put some bonus pages behind a reverse tracking wall
http://blog.aloodo.org/posts/reverse-tracking-wall/

* Replace AdChoices links with links to a trustworthy
tracking protection tool
http://blog.aloodo.org/posts/safer-friendlier-adchoices/

If you want to run a mailing list or email newsletter,
you have to think about deliverability and the current
state of spam filtering. If you want to be in the
web business, you have to think about protecting your
users from third-party tracking.
--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
***@zgp.org
a***@faqlinux.com
2017-06-29 00:42:16 UTC
Last week, the "State of the Gato Address for 2017" was posted. June 22, 2017.

"It has been 18 years since Raph created Advogato; ten years since I
took over hosting and last posted a State of the Gato Address; and six
years since there was any development work on the mod_virgule codebase.

The server Advogato is running on is around 15 years old and will be
decommissioned in a few days.

Active users have dwindled into the single digits.

Most have moved on to more modern social networking sites.

It's been a good run but it's time to say goodbye.

The trust metrics updater and blog aggregator have been turned off and
the site will go into read-only mode today.

Don't worry though, the content will be preserved. I've spoken with
Mark Graham at the Internet Archive and the entire content of Advogato
is being copied into their archive where it will be permanently
accessible."

http://www.advogato.org
James Morris
2017-06-29 09:20:08 UTC
Post by a***@faqlinux.com
The server Advogato is running on is around 15 years old and will be
decommissioned in a few days.
Active users have dwindled into the single digits.
Most have moved on to more modern social networking sites.
It's been a good run but it's time to say goodbye.
The trust metrics updater and blog aggregator have been turned off and the
site will go into read-only mode today.
Goodnight, sweet prince
--
James Morris
<***@namei.org>
Tomasz Rola
2017-06-29 09:34:48 UTC
Post by a***@faqlinux.com
Last week, the "State of the Gato Address for 2017" was posted. June 22, 2017.
"It has been 18 years since Raph created Advogato; ten years since I
took over hosting and last posted a State of the Gato Address; and
six years since there was any development work on the mod_virgule
codebase.
The server Advogato is running on is around 15 years old and will be
decommissioned in a few days.
Active users have dwindled into the single digits.
Most have moved on to more modern social networking sites.
It's been a good run but it's time to say goodbye.
The trust metrics updater and blog aggregator have been turned off
and the site will go into read-only mode today.
sic transit gloria mundi

(This maxima displayed whenever I failed at certain DOS game - I am sure
it fits here and now)
--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola

--
** A C programmer asked whether computer had Buddha's nature. **
** As the answer, master did "rm -rif" on the programmer's home **
** Tomasz Rola mailto:***@bigfoot.com **
Shlomi Fish
2017-06-29 12:16:18 UTC
Hi all,

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 00:42:16 +0000
Post by a***@faqlinux.com
[...]
I see. While I'll have some good memories from it, it has indeed fell out of
fashion. Farewell!